Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Third Thursday BLOG HOP with Jill Savage (Hearts at Home)

Today's Blog Hop is in reference to one of the usual New Year's Resolutions...no, I'm not talking about getting in shape or losing a few pounds! 

ORGANIZING!!!! 
Doesn't that word just make you want to yell?!?! 
(YIPPIE or YUCKIE, your choice)

Have you already caught yourself thinking about this New Start to a New Year and search for ways to improve an area of your house...or your life for that matter?!  Back in September, I believe, I was at my wit's end with my office.  My office at various points in my life houses many functions, as I think everyone's does, but I had had it!

Papers were piling up, as usual, but the thing that really threw me overboard was the kids being back in school, there were some new twists that I realized were only going to get worse as the kids got older.  We have 6 children, our oldest is in 4th grade this year, we have a 2nd grader, 1st grader, then the three youngest are 4, 3, and almost 2.

Our 4th grader has had to begin using the internet for school this year, and the 1st grader actually has homework everyday after school...the table and my office desk were not handling these changes very well!  I began looking for a way to build additional desks in our office so the three oldest could work on homework without the three youngest being right on top of them...stealing pencils, papers, or whatever they could get their hands on!  Multiple desks would also give the three youngest a place to draw during the day without getting things all over the dinning room table.

I ended up finding three used desks that a local college got rid of when they upgraded their furniture, I bought a clip-on desk lamp for each desk, and bought an inbox basket for each desk as well.  After school homework time is not nearly the headache it once was!  :-)

Whatever problem you are facing, try to think outside the box...when I say something about having 4 desks in my office, people look at me like I am nuts, yes, it is different for a home office, but my needs were very much like that of a 'real' office.  The kids even get to decorate their spaces...that's still in the works, but at least they know it's their space!  :-)

Have a blessed day, and come back and join me as I wrap up the Verse by Verse look at the famous LOVE Chapter (1 Corinthians 13).

5 comments:

  1. Great idea, Jennifer - you are a wonderful mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, thank you for sharing what has worked for you! When you said, "...but I had had it," it made me think about what I say when I have had it. I say, "I'm declaring war on..." So you declared war on your office and now you have peace! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I seemed to be a bit similarly minded on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the desk idea. Isn't it fun for kids to have their own space? Even if it is just a cubicle :) Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the kids love having their own desk just like mommy! What a creative way to solve the problem!

    ReplyDelete