Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What does THIS button do?

Do you know what a pressure valve is?  Would you know it if you saw it?  When I was little, I loved to play with buttons and switches and levers in the garage as my dad worked on vehicles or whatever he was tinkering with at the time.  But as my curiosity got the better or  me, I discovered what a pressure valve was!
It was somewhat of a breakthrough in discipline, I realized that maybe my dad knew what he was saying when he told me to leave things alone!  But, I am stubborn and hard-headed...and in most cases, I have to learn the hard way!
The same is true in my spiritual life; there have been many, many lessons I have had to learn the hard way.  I would feel and experience God's discipline, sometimes I would get the message, but other times I would continue to push buttons and flip switches until the pressure valve was released, and God had to deflate my ego...those are very painful times looking back, but oh, how much I have learned about my Heavenly Father through those times!
Psalm 34:11-14 says, "Come, children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD.  Who is the man who delights in life, loving a long life to enjoy what is good?  Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from deceitful speech.  Turn away from evil and do what is good; seek peace and pursue it."
The Lord has had to teach me what the fear of the Lord is, and although those times were not pleasant, I am grateful for the loving discipline He has administered.  In my walk with Him now, I can hear Him more clearly, although I still do not always do what He says, I am much more aware of His voice and the consequences when I do not listen! 
When He has a breakthrough in our discipline it feels like a pressure valve is finally released!  Like Paul says  in Romans 7:15-16, "I don't really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate.  But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good."  When we finally come to that point where God’s voice is the one that overrides, what a joy and blessing we receive!!
Seek to hear Him better, seek peace and pursue it, have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment