Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Home

Last night was a difficult night.  No one was fighting, matter of fact, everyone went to bed very well and early due to being fully exhausted from our weekend events.  I took the time to sit down at the computer (something I rarely do since finishing my degree), and I got on Facebook to see what was going on with people.  I saw that my sister back home had finished redoing her upstairs, and homecoming week had just occurred in my hometown.  Then a good friend, who is a real estate agent, had posted numerous pictures of houses for sale.  All of this visual stimulation took my mind back to years ago: the fall, beginning of the school year, a nice brisk chill in the air, everyone hustling around, the beautiful colors of the leaves- oh, how my heart began to ache.  There was a large part of me that awakened, almost yelling inside, "I want to go home!"  And it wasn't because things are bad here, they are quite good, it was just that desire for the simplicity of those days that are long-gone.  Now, we all know, things are not ever like they used to be, but there is still a part of us that yearns for the 'yesteryear'.

I have never regretting joining the Air Force straight out of high school, and have not ever fought to move back home, but reality began to hit me last night.  Chances are very good that I will never live there again.    When Shane and I got married in 1997, I was fully aware that we could never both live in our hometowns.  That was simply not an option.  He grew up in Georgia, I grew up in Missouri...we have 6 kids...where is their home?

I had to reevaluate my home as I questioned these things. 
      Hebrews 13:14, "For this world is not our home; we are looking forward to our city in heaven, which is
      yet to come." 

In the New Living Translation, home is mentioned 472 times.  Some of these verses specifically tell us to share our home with others and that this world is not our home, but the majority of these verses talk about those times when God called His people to leave their homes.  One can only leave a good home in pure confidence when their complete dependence is on Christ and their hope is truly in the home to come in Heaven.  He reminded me of this last night.  He has me right here, right now to do what He has called me to do.  It is my pleasure to follow Him and do His will as He reveals it to me.

A very good friend of mine is in the beginning stages of the 'empty nest'.  Her eldest son is away at college, and I can just imagine how difficult it is for their whole family for him to be only a short distance away, yet not close enough that it makes sense (cents) for him to live at home.  This new season of life they are all entering will take time to adjust, and just as soon as the adjustment is made, something else will change.  My heart aches for each one of them.  I can put myself in their shoes, but I encourage her, as I encourage you - God has you where you are for a reason.  Don't put on the blinders because you do feel comfortable.  Look for Him, seek what He has in store for you.  It is amazing, I promise. 

I have been redeemed by Him for almost 17 years (Oct 28, 1994), and He has taken me on some wonderful and yes, some difficult journeys.  The most difficult ones, though, were when I tried to do things my way, and He had to put the heat on so I would go back to His direction.  His ways are so much better...and safer than ours.  He really does know what is best for us, He knows where we are, what we are feeling, and He cares more deeply than anyone else.

Remind yourself today that this is not our home.  We are passing through on this journey, and He has the map.  Maybe you should consult with Him today to see what direction you should be heading.

***Blessings In Christ ***

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great word! Thank you for your encouragement, friendship and love! I have missed your blogs. I am sorry for your "homesick" feeling lately and I will be praying God's comfort for you. I know it has to be hard sometimes. We love you here in Ellaville and I personally am so thankful and blessed that God brought you here as well as many others who live here! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great word! I am sorry you feel homesick. I do not like that feeling myself, but you are completely correct. "This is our temporary home, it's not where we belong. Windows and rooms that we're passing through. This is just a stop on the way to where we're going." Part of the reason I moved back to Ellaville was because, this, for me, is home. I am so glad that God has blessed me beyond my dreams with friends like you. No matter where He takes us, we will always be sisters in Christ. Love you!

    ReplyDelete